More About Toyama's Awards
Toyama: the National and International Award Winning Ecological, Sustainable Japanese City
- Designated a National "Environmental Model City"
- Designated a National "Environmental Future City"
- OECD recognizes Toyama as one of five cities, (along with Melbourne, Vancouver, Paris and Portland) with advanced "Compact City" policies
- Toyama City is the only Japanese city selected by the United Nations as one of the major cities to improve energy efficiency for SEforALL (Sustainable Energy for All). Other cities include Warsaw, Manila, Iskandar, Rio de Janeiro, etc..
SEforALL is a global initiative launched by the United Nations as one of the priorities. The initiative is intended to meet three objectives by 2030.
- Ensuring universal access to modern energy services
- Doubling the rate of improvement in energy efficiency
- Doubling the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
Mayor Mori with Mr. Yumkella, the SE４ALL special representative of the Secretary-General, (center) and Mr. Horie, the Japanese ambassador for global environment (right), accepting SE4All Award in New York
- Only Japanese city selected by the Rockefeller 100 Resilient Cities program as one of the world's 100 Resilient Cities which have a remarkable capacity to withstand and recover from the shocks and stresses facing modern cities
Senior Policy Advisor Dr. Runzo-Inada (right) with Rockefeller 100 CEO Berkowitz (left) and Rockefeller Foundation President Rodin at the Resilience City Summit in Singapore.
- OECD choses Toyama as the host city for OECD's International Roundtable of Mayors and Experts on "Resilient Cities in Aging Societies", marking the 50th anniversary of Japan joining OECD.
- Following the G7 Summit held in Japan, Toyama has also been chosen as the host city for the G7 Environment Ministers' Meeting. Moreover, the heads of the delegations of G7 countries held a "Parallel Session" in Toyama to discuss about "role of cities".
- Together with Yokohama City, Kobe City and Kitakyushu City, Toyama City was selected as one of the participating cities of World Bank City Partnership Program. These cities will share their experience about city construction with developing countries.
- Chosen as national "SDGs Future City".